Friday, March 30, 2012

Hello friends.

Welcome to the weblog of my first visit to New Orleans since Katrina. 

It's Tuesday, December 20, 2005, and I'm scheduled to arrive in New Orleans next Monday, December 26, with my two sons Julian and Gabe. I don't know what to expect. I've been wanting to visit New Orleans since Katrina hit, and haven't known quite how to. I realize now that I've spent the last four months in some kind of foggy shock. I can't imagine what my friends and my relatives who survived Katrina have been through.

The photo above was taken during happier times, on Super Sunday in New Orleans in March, 2004.

I will be writing about what is happening for many of my friends and relatives there. I'll try to submit some photos, too.

I will be visiting my Aunt Jane, and friends Kay, Ann, Denise, Alex, and Terry.

My Aunt Jane, Kay and Ann all live in the same area flooded by the 17th Street Canal breech. Aunt Jane has lived in Lakeview all her life. She is my godmother, and I've always loved being with her. Her home and the homes of my high school friends Kay and Ann were under 10 feet of water for three weeks. None of them are back in their homes, but they are fortunately in New Orleans. 



My high school friend Denise lives uptown on St. Charles Avenue, and her condo fortunately was not damaged.

My colleague and friend Alex lived in New Orleans East, and his home was also destroyed. He remains still today in Houston, TX. 

My friend Terry's home had only a little water, and he's been trying to salvage it, while living in his garage in the back of his home.

I'm hoping this blog will serve to help me and anyone reading it understand what is happening there and how they might help.

No comments:

Post a Comment